Tuesday 8 August 2017

Meeting the Bretons



An uneventful trip to St Piriac on approach we were welcomed by a leisure motors fishing boat preceded by a host of 6 or so dolphins also on the hunt for fish. Following the marks into the port I noticed there were quite a lot of racing spinnakers still some 3 miles behind me and thought nothing of it until entering the marina and being told that there was no space because of the Tour de Bretagne. Ah! I crossed over the sill an hour before high tide and after a short wait it appeared that they HM preferred to get me out of the way in the marina than to send me back out into the way the racing fleet. I thought the HM was going to help me by nudging me into the mooring pontoon and prepared all of the lines and fenders and manoeuvred in. As I turned around to speak to him, he had disappeared! So much for my helper. Unfortunately this put me off my stride and I nudged the bow into the walkway which really annoyed me. Had I been prepared I would have been happy to single hand in and take my time.
Piriac Sill

Lesson learned, trust no one , particularly professional assistants with a short attention span.

No comments:

Post a Comment