Wednesday 8 June 2016

It's all behind you

Using my new found education from Phil I was further delegated to polish the starboard quarter using the approved process - 600 grit, 1200 then 2000 followed by cutting compound and wax polish which I duly did although my shoulders were groaning after wet and drying the length each time. I don't know how Phil does it day in, day out! After the quarter I wanted to nominate myself  for a project and picked the transom, after all the Grapefruit boys and girls had told me that the order of vinyl for the sign writing and lettering was ready. So I did and had to deal with the detailing around the various skin fittings and stainless struts for the bathing platform. I had earlier removed the timbers and cleaned them with teak renovator and cleaner but they were still very rough surfaced with exposed fibres of teak which although good for non slip, were not particularly attractive. So with a generous response from Universal I borrowed their thicknesser, just before it was wheeled from their shed prior to refurbishment. With a bit of sanding I was able to get the teak back to a nicer condition and with shorter screws purchased that did not stand proud of the upper surface it was all put back together followed by a good coat of teak wax, Anyway this is how the transom looked beforehand:-
Before
Platform stripped off     So after much elbow grease and two goes as I was not entirely happy with the first go, I put the bathing platform back together after polishin the transom prior to the graphics being applied.
Not too bad
Quite like all this shining GRP
Shaving mirror
  Not bad for a beginner, thanks to Phil for his patience and mentoring, onwards and upwards, the graphics are all on my car that is the signage for the transom, the hull and the striping which can only be applied once we have finished restoring the topsides .    
You can easily see the now ubiquitous yellow staining and the dull oxidised finish to the glass fibre.

No comments:

Post a Comment